Thursday 3 May 2012

THOUGHTS PLEASE...

Morning all.

My first week as unemployed....I mean freelance, and I've been nursing a sick child followed in quick succession by a sick husband (not just his sense of humour this time). So I haven't done exactly what I had intended so far. That said, I have re-written an original synopsis, completely changing the plot and by doing so have made the whole thing easier to write....I hope!

I've also been researching 'online presence' and the need for it these days. I was aware, obviously, that anyone wishing to promote a business from Marshmallow Toaster to Martian Trapper needs to be seen in cyberspace. However, I wasn't aware that it was necessary to have more 'white space' on one's blog or put the important stuff down the left hand column. Man, I'm out of touch!
      Apparently the whole blog should avoid busy patterns (whoops!) and too many 'non-specific' images (what's non-specific about Alice In Wonderland, eh? Eh?). So this is where I had to question my motives here. Yes, I am now a freelance writer (I am cringing too thank you....I know how this sounds to the experienced scribes out there!!) but this blog was not started to promote a product but my 'Manifesto for a Brilliant Year' which, if you haven't read it please go back to the beginning as it will make more sense of the rest of this blog!!

Basically,the premise of the blog is to focus myself and to move myself off the sofa! Last year was rubbish and I was determined that this one would be so much better. And, I have to say, that so far this year has been bloomin' marvellous. There is something very scary about announcing ambition and intention, but in my case it has been the best thing I have ever done. I have had so many times in the past where I have just given up at the first hurdle and convinced myself that I am useless and wonder why I am kidding myself in to thinking I could be a success at anything but, these days, I know I just have to carry on as I have publicly announced my intentions! If I get knocked back then I have to pull myself together and try again.....I have NEVER done this before EVER. It is an absolute revelation to me! 

This blog is a very personal attempt at improving my life and getting it 'out there' does not allow 'failure' to be a part of my Brilliant Year. My dilemma is, now that the writing part is slowly taking off, and this is where I need your thoughts, the blog may be visited by prospective agents (indeed it already has) and publishers etc. Will they want to see an all singing advert for my professionalism in creating a 'white-spaced, non-specific image free' blog? Or will they want to see me making my way through the Manifesto in my personal style, which for the record does NOT mirror my novel-writing style. I enjoy writing this one for the interaction with those of you who are lovely enough to comment on here and who send me such encouraging emails.

Maybe I should carry on with this blog and set up another purely with the intention of selling myself? (I am not knocking this notion, I am fully aware that if you want to be bought you have to sell yourself!). 

I would be really grateful for your thoughts.

And finally....the agent emailed me again and said she thought I was '...so talented that she would love to read anything I have!'...yeeeeha!! And that was the first agent I had sent anything to...whoop!

Looking forward to your thoughts!

2 comments:

  1. First, I am not at all surprised by the comment made by the agent - I'm sure it'll lead to better things. If nothing else it's qualification that you can actually do this - which is no bad thing for the self esteem!

    My blog/website www.roughdiamondracing.com was set up primarily to try and promote some of the race car work I do - but with a personal element as(like yourself) I work alone. However I don't blog often enough and frankly it's not yet led to any actual work! It has raised my profile a little and some interest. I think you should keep your blog personal but perhaps target the 'business' in it a little more. People you hope will give you money will see your personality.

    Finally, the best thing to do is have a word with Alli www.cygnetbiz.com because advising businesses/individuals on the best way to promote themselves and be effective in their chosen field is what she does for a living!

    Speak soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you Gibb. I can always count on you for wise words! I will contact Alli. I have visited her site and it is great. I'm sure she'd be able to find a happy middle ground for me!x

    ReplyDelete